About Me

My photo
+++Enter At Your Own Risk+++ At the gentle nudging (I said gentle y'all) of a few friends, I have started these blogs in order to share my culinary goings-on and daily misadventures through my own brand of humor (ok, sarcasm). I just write about stuff! At 50, I have learned that living has gotten in the way of life - and I am going to blaze my own personal trail to fun (hopefully)! If it is feminine, great. If it is not, so much the better! Hopefully fun that does not land me in jail............

Sunday, September 7, 2014

Seasoning: Taco Seasoning

I like taco seasoning. I typically buy packets and add them to recipes.  Obviously I add it to ground beef, but it can be used on chicken breasts and in dressings (both used in Southwest Salad), note it can be used in the Picante Peach Pork recipe....  If you make up your own mix, you are able to adjust flavor and heat.

The below recipe makes about 1 cup of dried Taco Seasoning Mix. I only mixed up half the recipe. I learned that I used most of the seasoning I mixed up for one go around with the Southwestern Salad.

Ingredients:
1/4 cup Ancho Chile Powder (mild heat, sweet fruity flavor)
2 T chile powder
3 T ground cumin
1 T dried cilantro
1 T sweet paprika (not hot paprika, unless you like it hot)
1 T fine grind sea salt (or slightly less regular salt)
2 tsp. garlic powder
2 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. fine grind black pepper
Optional
1 tsp. ground Chipotle Chile Powder or Cayenne for more heat

Instructions:
I combine all ingredients in a bowl and stir them together. 

You can have a more finely ground mixture by grinding ingredients into the bowl attachment of blender or a small food processor, and process them for about a minute. I don't have either of these, but I do have an old coffee grinder that I kill spices with periodically....

Store Taco Seasoning Mix in a glass jar with a tight-fitting lid. Start with 2 T per pound of ground beef for regular ground beef tacos, then taste to see if you want it more spicy.

I can now use there in my Picante Pork recipe, spicy saltine recipe, and Southwestern salad recipe....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...